Sunday, March 18, 2012

"That's him, that's my brother, and his name is Benjamin"


So let me explain the title of this post...have patience...it's long, but it has powerful meaning...

On March 14, 2011, it was announced that China had opened back up to singles. This was the day I had been waiting for, for almost 6 years. I had always planned for Leila to have a sibling, and when China closed to singles (6 months after I brought Leila home), I figured I find another way. I researched other countries, but nothing was as black and white a process as China. I was just about at the point where I had come to terms with Leila being an only child, when China opened up again to me.

I immediately contacted the adoption agency I used to adopt Leila, and told them I wanted to adopt again, and told them I wanted a girl. They told me that there were many boys who needed families, and would I consider a boy. I told them I would think about it...meanwhile I had paperwork to start.

A few days later, I was driving home from work, and this name "Ben" came into my head from out of nowhere...and I thought to myself...why am I thinking of this name Ben, I don't even like the name Ben (for crying out loud, it's the name of a rat in a Michael Jackson song)! But then I thought...this must be the sign that I should consider a boy to adopt. So I contacted my adoption agency and told them "yes, I would consider a boy".

Then the files started coming in...beautiful baby, toddler, and young boys. All adorable...I wanted to bring them all home. I would look at their files at night, after Leila had gone to bed, and think about how this child would fit into our life. I was down to 3 files that I was ready to have reviewed by a doctor. Then one day I came home, and my agency had sent a file...the content of the email said something to the effect of..."there's something about this boy, that says I should send his file to you, please take a look". I opened the file, while Leila was in the room, and up popped this beautiful face...and Leila saw him and said to me "That's him, that's my brother, and his name is Benjamin." I was floored! Could this just be coincidence, or was this the boy I was meant to adopt?

So I then ended up with 4 files to take to the doctor for review. By the time I left the doctor's office, I had 2 files left...Benjamin was one of them, and he is who I chose...or was he chosen for me? Who knows...but I do know that he will be my son.

We're coming to get you Benjamin!

4 comments:

Ronlyn said...

I'm so thrilled for you!

kristin said...

What a great post! Can't wait to meet you all!

Linda W said...

Oh Heather, that is just the perfect way to have chosen him!!! I can't wait to meet him.

Linda W.

Nes said...

I can't wait to read more!! Could he be the Chosen one? ;) Knowing how this all came to be is really awesome. So when are you guys scheduled to leave? I'm so excited for you both!!

Hugs,
Nes

PS: I didn't know that Ben was a rat! Heh!