Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Big Meltdown



Okay...so I knew these past few days had just been too easy. I knew the "big meltdown" was coming...I didn't know when it would happen, but I just knew it would.

First, we had breakfast, then went for a walk in the park. This time I took my camera and was able to snap a picture of all the Tai Chi, and dancing that goes on. This is only a smattering of the amount of people that are actually in this big park.

Next, I put Leila's coat hood up...I think she's supposed to look like a bunny. This is the coat from the outfit she was brought to me in. It's a beautiful outfit, and I know I will keep it for her forever.

Next, Connie took me and the Seppi's to the BIG department store. They are starting to decorate for the Chinese New Year so the lanterns were hanging everywhere. In this picture, Lisa is taking a picture of Kevin and their children. That's Lisa behind the camera. The tall guy to the right is Kevin, and to his right is Connie.

Then, the big meltdown occured. Leila just lost it. Honestly, I don't think she's feeling well, she has a cold, and I think gas. So combine the two and she just wasn't a happy camper today. We were out for a couple of hours shopping. Luckily, Connie consoled her in Chinese. Sometimes it comforts Leila to hear her own language, and Connie is able to work wonders in those circumstances. But as the day progressed, nothing could console Leila, not even Connie. The poor Seppi family stuck in the van with a screaming toddler! Although with 7 kids, I'm sure this didn't phase them at all. Meanwhile, I start crying because I feel so helpless that I can't console her in any way. Now Connie is conforting me, and telling me not to worry, this is normal for adopted children, just let her cry. But when we got back to the hotel we went right to the doctors office. They wanted to sedate her, but I wouldn't let them. So they gave me some benedryl and tea to calm her.

Once we got back to the hotel room, she was fine. It was as if nothing had happened. She was all "happy baby" again. I gave her the benedryl, but she didn't want the tea. Then she found a new toy...the remote for the TV. She uses it like a phone, and talks into it. I don't know what she saying, it's Chinese baby babble...even if she was speaking English I wouldn't know what she was saying!

Anyhow...I knew she had to be emotionally drained, so I put her down for a nap. She really fights going to sleep...so I just had to throw her in the crib, and go into the bathroom and close the door, and leave her alone...if I'm there, she won't go to sleep. I hate leaving her, but so far, it's the only thing that works.

So we leave the hotel tomorrow at 1PM. Rumor has it the President of North Korea will be here..Kim Young Ill...or something like that...neither the Seppi's nor I could remember the correct name. We're going to a hotel up the street only, 4 stars....hrmmph!!! I can't believe we have to give up our 5 star accomodations for "him"! Oh well...I actually find the whole situation fascinating, and love to see politics in action. Must be because I live in the DC area, and it's a rather common and interesting topic around the towns that I live and work in. What I'm really wondering is if everyone has to leave the hotel, even the Chinese Nationals that are here, or if it's only the American's and European's that have to leave?!?!?!?

Well, Leila's napping, so I have time to post. It's almost 5:00pm, I don't think I'm going to let her sleep long or I'm sure bedtime will be a nightmare! So talk to you later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When she babbles, just talk to her like you know what she is saying. Like 'sure I like all those lanterns too. They are so pretty.' She'll start picking things up and will become more understandable if only to you.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...every parent will sit down and cry sometimes becuase we don't know what is wrong or cant change what is wrong and we feel so helpless that we can't help. We want to kiss it and make everything all better and when we can't it hurts us as much as them. The good part is what you have already seen...they figure out that its not so bad after all and everything is lady bugs and sunshine again. Remember, love your child, Have fun, and trust your instincts!

Love you,

Suzy